Sunday 10 May 2015

Colour.. Our Favourite Thing!

We have been talking about what inspires us to use the colours which we do and the first thing that came to mind was the Sound of Music... stay with me..please, and Julie Andrews when she sang;

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favourite things


Cream coloured ponies and crisp apple strudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favourite things


Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favourite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favourite things
And then I don't feel so bad


This explains perfectly how colours, textures and sounds all contribute to our moods, choices and general well being. 
Who has a background on their computer which is just lots of different balls of wool? I am sure there are lots of us, because just seeing a beautiful colour palette raises our spirits
.

Even odds and ends of stash make for a beautiful picture! 


So... we have decided not to dress like Julie Andrews and run through our local parks singing! Instead we are sharing some of the images which make us feel happy and also inspire our choices for colours.

A lovely floral display in Spain


Afternoon Tea - Hilton Manchester
A Cornish Sunset





















Tatton Park flower show display
As creative people it is hard not to look at everyday objects without taking a colour or a design from them and playing around with it in your mind. We live in a world so full of colour but take a look at the majority of people on their way to work in the mornings, we tend to stick to a pallet of greys and black and white. Wearing bright colours can change not only the way you look but also the way you feel, lifting your mood and enhancing your natural pallet too. Why not start by having your colours done, Sarah had hers done by Susan, you can find her at http://www.susanstylesyou.com not only was it a fabulous and fun experience but it also helps when choosing yarn, avoiding expensive mistakes.

How can this stash not fail to inspire us
Self Colouring yarns..
 putting different tones of one colour together so beautifully

Play with colours in your stash to get a combination you love!
I think Sarah is still on the two for one Mojitos after singing with Julie Andrews, but I do agree, colour is everywhere. I sent my husband out to do the shopping and he came back with a very very large cabbage and all I could think was what a fantastic cushion design this would be, mad, yes, but you have to agree, amazing colour and design.


I do love working with bright colours and I am so lucky that I get to work with some amazing yarns. These are the new colours from Wendy - Peter pan DK, colours that I worked with a few months ago.


I made a baby blanket from these amazing colours.


A basic granny square design but because of the colours it works really well.


I just want to add a few pictures that I took in my Dads garden last year as I think the colours are amazing.







If you look around inspiration is everywhere, so take your camera out wherever you go as there's always a photo opportunity. Please share the photos that inspire you or are just beautiful colours, we would love to see them. 

You can share them on our Facebook page: Hank, Skein and Two Odd Balls - don't forget to LIKE our page!
Also take a look at us on Instagram HANK_SKEIN where you will get snippets of what we have been knitting/ crocheting. 
We would love to get lots of comments and feedback. So, don't be shy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment