Sunday 16 August 2015

Leaves Galore !!!


As I walked through the local park during the summer holidays, I noticed that leaves are already starting to falling from the trees, yes the nights are drawing in !! so I thought that this would be a great template for many designs, summer or winter.
The ones pictured are my initial ideas for different magazines for a summer table cloth and circular clutch bag but both using the same leaf pattern.









This gave me and Sarah an idea, to use a leaf pattern and go away to design our own items, not knowing what the other one is going to make. 
Another good thing with this idea is that you can use up stash, all your odd bits to make up the leaves.


So here is the basic leaf pattern:
This pattern can be used with any yarn on any needles to use up your stash

The large leaf measures 9cm in length and the small leaf measures 6cm in length knitted on 3.25mm needles using Rowan cotton glace.

small leaf
cast on 3sts
Row 1 (WS) :purl
Row 2: k1, m1, k1, m1, k1. 5sts
Row 3: and all ws rows purl
Row 4: k2, m1, k1, m1, k2. 7sts
cont increasing as set to 11sts
starting with a purl row work in st st for 3 rows
Next row: sl 1, k1, psso, k to last 2 sts, k2tog
Next row: purl
Next row: sl 1, k1, psso, k to last 2 sts, k2tog
cont decreasing as set until 3sts
Next row: purl
Next row: sl 1, k2tog, psso
fasten off


medium leaf

work as for small leaf increasing to 15sts
starting with a purl row work in st st for 5 rows
Next row: sl 1, k1, psso, k to last 2 sts, k2tog.
Next row: purl
Next row: sl 1, k1, psso, k to last 2 sts, k2tog
cont decreasing as set until 3 sts
Next row: purl
Next row: sl 1, k2tog, psso
fasten off



So I chose my colours and got to work on my leaves. I knitted 15 leaves but the one bit I do hate is the sewing in of ends!

 But after I had done the sewing, I got myself an old pillow case, got my machine out and made it into a 40cm by 40cm, very simple cushion cover. I then decided that I would make my daughter a cushion for her bedroom. 
And here is my design........



I added buttons and embroidered stalks. I have finished! What do you think ???

So, Sarah, let's see what you came up with. 
(On our next blog, can't wait !!)

If you do have a go with the leaves, send pictures please, we would love to see what you make!! 
Happy Knitting!
Helen xx

No comments:

Post a Comment