Sunday 2 August 2015

Socks!!


Sock knitting Divides all knitters into two camps, like marmite you either love it or hate it.


Like socks with sandals hand knitted socks divide us into 2 camps Love or hate!
I love knitting socks whilst Helen on the other hand could think of no bigger waste of time, which ever camp you sit in you have to admit that nothing looks or feels better than a pair of hand knitted socks on your feet. Not only because of the love in every single stitch but also the warmth and comfort of having a pair of socks that fit perfectly.
I knitted my first pair many years ago now, encouraged by my mum who knits socks for fun, ‘it is good to have a pair on your needles’ she says ‘they are so portable’ she adds. They are also fabulous to receive in your Christmas parcel! Especially when your mum has made them!

These were made using my free Regia pattern
Hector Socks designed by Rachel Coopey




















The first few pairs which I made were knit using a free pattern which you were given when purchasing Regia self-patterning yarn, you can download a fantastic guide and pattern from the website, http://us.schachenmayr.com/regia   These were top down knitted on 4 needles, I loved the fact that I got a beautiful patterned/ striped socks with little effort. 
I soon got the bug and decided that I needed to do a pair of the lovely socks in the fabulous Rachel Coopey book a knitted sock society www.coopknits.co.uk/  and chose a lovely lace pair to start with called Hector


Rachels fabulous book
I love Rachels patterns and after having worked with her in Harrogate she convinced me that I could make socks on a circular needle using the magic loop method, I was not brave enough to do this when I was doing the Hector socks but plucked up the courage when I progressed to toe up two at a time socks!! These have not been off my needles for long and I cannot say that the words ‘enjoyed knitting’ spring to mind when recalling the making of them, although they are a perfect fit and the instructions in the book are clear and easy to follow, maybe a second pair will convince me! My husband says they are fabulous and fit perfectly.

A great book to explain the method with great patterns

Whichever method you choose I strongly advise having a go on a small pair to start with, for a child maybe, and if you do one sock and think ‘no more!!’ then you will have a Christmas decoration for your tree at least!

They have now climbed Helvellyn!!
Rachel convinced me to knit socks in the round!




















Now, I am not a yarn snob but… I would not use cheap yarn to knit socks, your feet are precious and deserve something beautiful!! Regia do a fabulous range of sock yarns and if you want to splash out on a skein of Rowan Fine art which is so beautiful to work with and even more beautiful to wear. I also love Lang Jowell sock yarn which comes with a reinforcing yarn for your toes and heels for those heavy footed ones amongst us! I am not saying buy expensive yarn, I am just saying read the label and look at the wool content!!

I want to show you some pictures of our trip to The Lake District last weekend.
Our accommodation was 5 star! So much so that there was a need for handmade socks to be worn at all times! Even in bed!
Our tent has done us proud over the years!
We climbed Helvellyn, me wearing my top down one at a time socks and my Hubby in his toe-up two at a time socks. 


It was great to get to the end of Striding Edge with warm feet too!
Time for Tea for us two!
Boots and Socks off at last!
The campsite was perfect with a pub serving food at the top of the hill and a bar with a Saturday night quiz next to the site shop! We will definitely stay again. http://sykeside.co.uk/

If you succeed in knitting your first pair of socks then you will not look back and will have socks on your needles at all times!! Won’t they Helen!! 

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry but i am not knitting socks. I think i was put off when it took over a year to knit a pair with a lady i teach and i must of turned the heel 30 times as she kept pulling back SO no it just does not appeal to me, even though i know Sarah's socks look amazing i will keep buying mine xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete